In 1430, in Monaco, a lady purchased a monstrance from a second-hand dealer. It was most likely stolen because it still contained the Sacred Host for adoration. The lady, being very ignorant in regard to the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, decided to remove the Host from the monstrance with a knife. Unexpectedly, living blood began to flow from the Host. The blood dried immediately, leaving imprinted on the Host the image of the Lord, seated on a semicircular throne with some of the instruments of the Passion at His side.
The lady, unsettled, went to Canon Anelon, who kept the Host with himself. The episode quickly came to be known even by the Pope, Eugene IV, who desired to donate the miraculous Host to Duke Phillip of Borgogna, who in turn donated the Host to the city of Dijon. We know with certainty that in 1794 the miraculous Host was still in the Basilica of Saint Michael the Archangel, but on February 9 of that year, the municipality of Dijon requisitioned the church to consecrate it as temple of the new sect “la Raison”, that is of the “godess of reason”.
The miraculous Host was burned. Many are the documents and the works of art which illustrate the miracle; for example, one of the stained glass windows of the Cathedral of Dijon in which the main scene of the marvel is portrayed.