In the year 1532, toward the end of the month of December, thieves entered the parish church of Marseille en Beauvais and stole a precious silver ciborium that contained consecrated Hosts. The Hosts were abandoned under a large rock along a main street. The first day of January, Mr. Jean Moucque was walking down that street despite a strong snow storm. While he was walking, a rock on the side of the road captured his attention, because it did not have any snow on it. When he lifted the rock, he was amazed to find the Hosts completely intact. He immediately told the pastor, Father Prothais, who, accompanied by many of the faithful, carried the Hosts into the parish church.
They placed a cross on the location where the Hosts were found, and in order to accommodate the large number of devoted faithful who would come to visit, eventually built the Chapel of the Sacred Hosts. The Lord worked many miracles at this chapel. The historian, Pierre Louvet describes some of these miracles in his Histoire de la Ville de Beauvais. There was the extraordinary story of the priest, Father Jacques Sauvage, who was completely healed after being paralyzed and having lost his ability to speak. Mr. d’Autreche, blind from birth, regained his sight.
Despite all of these graces given by God, the Bishop-Count of Beauvais, Odet de Coligny, converted to Calvinism and married Elizabeth of Hauteville. Before publicly renouncing his faith, he ordered the Hosts to be consumed. Today, the Chapel of the Sacred Hosts still stands and every year on the Second day of January, a Solemn Mass is celebrated in honor of the miracle of 1533.